Thursday, June 24, 2010

What Happens in Vegas...


Notes on my all too short stay in Southern California: I loved LA and can totally see why the world is fixated. Jane Larned showed me an amazing time in Hermosa Beach. If you like to beach and play all day long, this is the spot for you. I fear we've lost Jane to the Left Coast, but who can blame her. My day in Hollywood was filled with star sitings (Evan Lysacek and Carey Mulligan!!), the Bodhi Tree Bookstore (the most far out place this side of John Larned) and lots of traffic. Eventually I threw my hands up in the air trying to find the Hollywood sign, and returned to the peace and quiet of Jane's seaside abode. I walked all along the Strand and met up with a fun crew of Jane's pals at their neighborhood favorite, Sharkeez.

Yesterday I zipped across California into the Mojave desert and made it to Las Vegas in time for a raucous night on the town. I am staying with Eric Feldman's "much more attractive and significantly more successful" older brother, Jay. Dr. Feldman, as he is known to the many lives he has touched in the past 3 days since he began his ER residency here, Jay is as much a newbie in this town as I am. We rode his convertable up and down the Strip, did dinner at the Balagio, and managed to hit up a variety of bars with the other ER docs in South Vegas. The night wasn't complete until I played the slot machines at 2:30AM in Caesar's Palace. Didn't win, but still patted self on back for not squandering the family fortune.

Now I am sitting here, foggily scrutinizing my atlas, trying absently to figure my route to the Grand Canyon. First stop will be for a tank of gas an an even bigger tank of coffee. I took a hit in Vegas, but have no doubt that the desert air can clear this haze. Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment