Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Graceland and the Bible Belt


There is such a thing as a Bible Belt and I am here. If you go to any trucking stop, alongside the chips and cigs you can also pay to have your soul saved in six simple steps. I was nauseated, but as my father reminded me later, we wouldn't have gotten all that great music from this area if it weren't for the strong religious and gospel traditions.

Loving Memphis tonight. I went to a place for dinner down an ally called Rendezvous which is world famous for their coal cooked pork ribs. I'm mostly vegetarian at this point, but understood that a visit to Memphis would be cut short without some meat in my face. I sat next to a chatty drunk named Paul who bought my dinner (perhaps he will regret that tomorrow?!). He also bought the special homemade sauce that Dad had requested--nothing like bringing home souvenirs paid for by people who have no relation to you.

Visited the MLK assassination site, Beale Street, listened to a rock'n roll rockout in the street, and made a trip down to the Mississippi River where I could see the bridge. If there's any question of getting into the Memphis mood, listen to this fantastic Chuck Berry classic!!

No comments:

Post a Comment