Monday, June 28, 2010

New Mex into Tex

New Mexico is an incredible state with much more to see than my time allowed. Bob, my Host with the Most, helped me maximize the minimal time I did have by generously bringing me into Santa Fe from Albuquerque on Saturday morning. I had been there once before as a 10-year old when we came for a family friend's wedding. It is a little city with a huge art scene best characterized by its red adobe buildings. A uniquely beautiful place with a strong Native American presence. We had just enough time to wander the side streets, hit up a fajita cart, and check out one of the incredible outdoor marketplaces selling dream catchers and turquoise jewelry. Soon we were back in the car, making detours into little towns along the road including Cerillos and Madrid.

I was determined to make a decent start on my trek into Texas and left Bob and Sylvia in a bit of a rush on Saturday afternoon when we returned from Santa Fe. Throwing kisses into the air and waving goodbye from the car, I raced against time to make it to Fort Stockton, Texas, before it got too dark and I risked falling asleep behind the wheel. I took Rt 285 out of New Mexico which brought me right through Roswell, NM, the UFO capital of the United States. The ride was out of this world. All I can say for sure is that there were a myriad of sorry looking souls along the way and I tried not to linger too long filling up the tank. Onwards through Carlsbad and then hopping over the border into Texas, I cut across some very vast and open territories. It got dark fast, but I could still see the oil rigs moving up and down in the dusk.
Not a whole lot going on in Fort Stockton, Texas, but it was a nice place to lay my head for the night. Sunday was a big driving day. My whole goal was to make it to Victoria, Texas and my mom's dear friend, Janet Kutchka, in time for dinner. More vast territory and the incredible sight of wind farms. I arrived in Victoria a very weary but keyed up traveler. The heat was oppressive and I was google-eyed from staring at the road all day, but Janet and her husband Ray made me feel at home and I quickly relaxed into their southern hospitality. I got a tour of town, met Janet's mother, and helped prepare a delicious dinner. Janet belongs to a CSA (community supported agriculture program), so she had boxes of vegetables for us to work through. A very bright spot on my long journey across the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment